Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Surfer Nutcracker???


Alright already, I am ready for Christmas!I think I suffer from this each year; I put the decorations out so dang early that, by mid-December, I start to feel smothered by my trazillion Santas and glittery decor and question daily "do I really have to put ALL of this away now?" But I'm plugging on with my festive attitude and putting those Grinch-y thoughts behind me. Which by the way, after finding The Grinch DVD for $5.99 at Target the day after Thanksgiving, I must have seen it at least 15 times now with the girls. Who would have known that the Grinch makes such a great babysitter! (yes, I just admitted that.)
   So the last few crafts on my list have been completed, and I am actually guilty of already looking at the Valentines decorations that have been put out at JoAnnes - Not that I agree with this one bit  - Is it really necessary to put those out already? - but see, it's people like me that encourage them to do just that -- rush right through the holidays! I didn't purchase anything though so I'm not that guilty.
     My fun creation of the week was figuring out what to give my eleven year old boy cousin. If it's not Godzilla, a sword of some sort, or some $75 video game for his umpteenth video system,  (Dear God, please don't let my aunt be reading this!) then I am just plain clueless as to what to buy the boy. But upon seeing them for half price, I did remember that he collects something: NUTCRACKERS! $7 later, I am covered! And is it me, or do all of these nutcrackers start looking the same after awhile? Not much of a variety of them, is there?


So after questioning myself one too many times about whether or not he already has this one, I took it upon myself to make sure he didn't: hence,the
CALIFORNIZED NUTCRACKER

a little bit of shells, a palm tree, a crab and some pretend-it-is-seaweed moss...
a surf board, tied-dyed beach towel, and a  few other little tidbits...
...and the end result -  this  pretty cool surfer nutcracker!
I'm not a nutcracker collector, but maybe this is my craft fair / Christmas boutique calling for next year!

Hope that spoiled little cousin of mine likes it! I am betting he will!


...and another little cheapo transformation - I got these little girls for 90% off last year in February and dolled them up with the initials of my girls and my nieces -- sewed them together at the hands and added a few scarves -- worth every penny spent!







ONE WEEK AWAY!
 

9 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea, and it turned out great! I'm sure Aaron will love it, and it's definitely a California original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the lovely comment and your blog is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am a Nutcracker-holic.... that is fabulous... So creative and what a great idea. I just want to grab it and do some Clara moves, right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the 'sunglasses' make it. Love the whole thing. I am a nutcracker collector, but you've opened up a whole world of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is darling!! Now that is not something you see everyday! Such fun!-Anglea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love these nutcrackers too and have a bunch of them
    THanks for stopping by and your nice comments as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I just discovered Nutcracker this year and now I'm hooked! Happy Holidays! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, you are good! Love the surfer nutcracker! Looks great! Did you use wood for the parrot and surf board and crab?

    ReplyDelete

admit it! comments make your day! i'd love to hear what you have to say!