Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My New Years Not Resolutions Plan...

As I was waiting for my husband's surgery to wrap up a week or so ago, I read the numerous parenting magazines available in the waiting room - irony there -- husband's getting a vasectomy, wife is reading parenting and pregnancy magazines.  (And before I go any further, I am guilty of sneaking off to Micheal's which shared the same parking lot as the doctor's office -- I couldn't resist but I did have a bit of guilt for shopping while he was, well while he was doing what he was doing). I read an article in Fit Pregnancy that really grabbed my attention. It's basic concept was "stop trying to be Supermom." I think all moms, aware or not, are always reaching for that goal.

With the influence of this article, and with the new year ahead and previous years of failed resolutions, I am going to make a resolution which allows me to do less! I'm not going to resolve to lose that lingering ten pounds of baby weight before our Hawaii trip in April: not going to declare that I will start cooking 5 out of the 7 nights: and not going to resolve that I'll go to the gym several days a week, or even one day which isn't even presently happening - Apparently, I just enjoy making a $50 a month donation to the gym just for the heck of it .
Don't get me wrong now, I am not declaring to be lazy and remove all motherhood duties, rather, I am instead making the resolution to SLOW DOWN! I beat myself up for all of those reasons above and for a trillion other faults, but I am going to make a consious effort to change that.

So. With a plan to reduce the speed on my horrible habit of rushing and trying to get it all done within one day, I am going to remember that old saying "haste makes waste." Rushing doesn't get me anywhere but quicker to frustration and to the day just crumbling apart. I am going to lower my expectations of what I can accomplish and how quickly I can do it and therefore give up that hopeful title of Supermom.

        And as a result, I want to be a Super Mom instead...

The laundry pile will be higher, the floors will be more hazardous with scattered toys and you may even need to wash your own dish in order to have a clean one should you be a guest at my house, but it's all part of the plan!  The plan of  LETTING GO, SLOWING DOWN AND ENJOYING THIS JOURNEY OF PARENTHOOD. 


      THE PLAN:  I want to spend less time cleaning and organizing and more time wearing the high heeled dress up "tappy" shoes that Mia begs me to wear on a daily basis. Gradually, maybe I'll add the never worn cocktail dress so we can play dress-up together.


 I am going to spend less time fretting over putting away the folded laundry and more time stretching those mini rubbery clothes onto Maddie's favorite Polly Pocket dolls and squishing those glittery red oversized shoes onto her Build-a-Bear's feet.

 Maddie will smile because "Mommy is pretending with her."

Forget the endless attempts of reorganizing the snack cabinet and sippy cup drawer in the mornings and bring on the bathtime fun and raspberry-blowing contests with Izzy each morning.


And maybe, just maybe, with less stress and more playing, those ten pounds will just miraculously disappear just in time for that Hawaii trip! NOT a resolution, just a "keeping fingers crossed."

Happy New Year all you SUPER MOMS!

3 comments:

  1. Cheers to you! Isn't amazing how easy it is to get caught up in the laundry and dishes? I love that you are going to put on your "tappy" shoes with your little ones. Im inspired to do the same... my girls would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! We are due with girlie no. 3 on Feb. 8 and I think I just might have to borrow your resolution - all too often I know I get consumed with being able to do it all, and I forget to just enjoy my girls - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and will try spend more time with my girls. But that may mean less blog time, which is a bummer. I'm going to just have to get better at managing my time. Thanks for your blog. I enjoy it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

admit it! comments make your day! i'd love to hear what you have to say!